Mother’s Day is a reminder of the important role women play in families and other domains; workplaces, businesses, communities and in our parliaments.
At Australians Investing In Women we advocate for, promote and facilitate Gender-wise philanthropy to increase investment in women and girls and accelerate progress to gender equality. Being Gender-wise means seeing and addressing the existing disadvantage of women, investing in the potential and power of women to strengthen communities, accelerate economic growth, and contribute diverse perspectives at decision making tables.
This Mother’s Day we encourage funders to look to their end of financial year distributions to consider some of the great initiatives that take into account the perspectives of mothers and their roles in strengthening society, to deliver greater gender equality.
Some highlights from our Project Showcase and beyond:
- Motherless Daughters Australia: the only organisation in Australia that focus on women and girls who have experienced mother loss, to navigate life and it’s many milestones without mum.
- National Council of Single Mothers & their Children captures the lived experience of single mothers and empowers them to drive the policy change, presenting the needs and the remedies to advance financial fairness and financial safety for single mother families.
- Birth for Humankind providing doula support and childbirth education for women experiencing homelessness and family violence.
- The Cornelia Program: Breaking the cycle of homelessness for vulnerable women and their babies
- WIRE Women’s Information: the only free generalist service in Victoria inclusive of women, non-binary and gender diverse people from all backgrounds and experiences.
- Global Sisters’ Back Her Brilliance: First Nations Sisters supports the creation of new businesses founded by Aboriginal women across the country.
- The Parenthood: a community of mums, dads and supporters who have a shared vision — to make Australia the best place in the world to be a parent.
- With Just Peoples, support grassroots projects to break the cycle of poverty in some of the world’s poorest communities such as for Ugandan mothers.
- UN Women’s emergency appeals for women and girls in Ukraine and Afghanistan and other countries in crisis.
Thank you for taking the time to consider and take action. We wish you and your loved ones well on Mother’s Day.