WFEAs most pressing goal is to empower 2000 women to stand for public office by 2022. The torrid news coming from Canberra relating to sexual harassment/assault/bullying/misogyny has seen an unprecedented number of women sign up to our programs. We now have a waiting list we’re having trouble servicing.
WFEA is seeking funding to run an additional six EQUIP training programs through 2021 to allow us to scale and meet increased demand for women seeking information on how to get elected to create positive change for their communities. These costs include: 2 program facilitators and associated costs, catering and venue hire, promotion of events, outreach to local communities, follow-on resourcing, IT and administration.
Achieving gender and cultural parity in our legislative chambers has considerable long term benefits including:
– greater cross-party collaboration
– women MPs are more visible in their electorates and take more constituent meetings
– less adversarial chambers
– broader policy discussions and implementation that has far reaching positive outcomes for a greater number of people in the community
– greater trust in our democratic institutions and inspiring others to get involved